Monday, February 25, 2013

week 5: plants and animals

Perhaps thing I am most grateful for regarding my western excursion was the opportunity to experience and study many new and exciting lifeforms. The first half of the trip was somewhat less productive in this sense, possibly just because the second half was so exciting.

Upon entering the dead, dry land I mentioned earlier, I thought it impossible for any form of life to exist in such an unforgiving climate. Marvelously, I was wrong. Not only did I find some strange and unique shrub life, we even came across a pack of deer. What do they eat? Where do they find water? This poses so many interesting questions.

In the middle of a hilly grassland I met a large pack of wonderful looking deer-like animals. They had white spots all over their bodies and the males had shirt antlers. I spent a few hours making sketches and studying their behavior. I figured they must be indigenous to the area. In the mountains past these plains I finally encountered the beast I have be warned about countless times by the natives: the grizzly bear. While making observations I made sure to keep my distance, as they have a reputation for being extremely aggressive. Also in this area I found several species of wildflowers in striking colors of blue and purple. This region is surely a fruitful one and must be returned to for further study.

As we approached our destination we slowly we cast into shadows by some extremely tall coniferous trees. They were familiar, but distinguishably different from similar conifers back home in Europe. These dense forests were filled with what seemed to be and endless amount of undiscovered plant life. For a moment I entertained the thought that I had in fact gotten too close to the Grizzly Bear and ended up in heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment